Friday 14 March 2014

DIY Orange Juice and Baking Soda Face Mask


Lately, I have seen this DIY face mask popping up on social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest with many people arguing that this is "their mask", "their invention" or "their idea". Some people have gone as far as to threaten to sue hundreds of bloggers and Pinterest users for "stealing" their now-practically-famous face mask. The truth is, I do not know who invented this DIY face mask and I am not here to try to take credit for the idea. However, I am here to share it with you. 

This DIY face mask requires two ingredients - baking soda and orange juice, and preparation is simple. In a small container (for example, a shot glass or Dixie cup), combine 1tbsp of baking soda and 1tbsp of orange juice and mix. If your mask needs thickening, slowly add more baking soda until you are happy with the consistency.

Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and pat dry. Next, apply a thin layer of the baking soda and orange juice mask to your face. As with any face mask, avoid your eyes and lips. Let the mask sit for 20 minutes. As the mask dries you may find it tingles or even feels itchy. Do your best to keep your face still (for me, the most difficult part is not talking for 20 minutes) - I like to watch an episode of something on Netflix, write, edit upcoming blog posts, read or browse various social media sites. 
For those of you who don't enjoy face masks or are looking for something that requires less time, the mixture can also be used as a quick scrub to help exfoliate your face.

After the twenty minutes is up, run your fingers under water until damp and then gently scrub the mask in a circular motion for about a minute.

Finally, rinse the mask off. When I rinsed off this DIY face mask for the first time, I let out a horrified shriek when I noticed my bright pink face in the mirror. Fortunately, the pinkness went away. To help, be sure to rinse your face well and follow by applying a gentle toner and moisturizer. 

While some DIY beauty products, including DIY face masks have a shelf life, I recommend using this face mask promptly after preparing it and discarding any leftovers. 

Be sure to let me know your thoughts on this DIY face mask.

XOXO
LAUREN

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com